Home / News / Local hotels tighten security after Las Vegas shooting
Fontainebleau Miami Beach (photo courtesy Fontainebleau)
Fontainebleau Miami Beach (photo courtesy Fontainebleau)

Local hotels tighten security after Las Vegas shooting

Officials at some Miami hotels said they are beefing up security in the aftermath of the Las Vegas shooting last month that left dozens dead and hundreds injured.

Security and Safety Manager Michael Matos of the Fontainebleau Miami Beach said the tragedy made him and his peers rethink the hotel’s procedures.

“I think all hotels in Miami, especially those in the downtown and Brickell areas are going to take notice and really work on changing the way we operate,” he said.

Matos added that hotel and Miami Beach officials are constantly in contact about security issues.

“No two incidents are the same,” he said.

By Amanda Gala
South Florida News Service
@SFNS_NewsInstagram• Facebook 

Matos also said that the shooting should be a wake-up call to the entire industry.

“The hospitality industry as a whole needs to constantly work to improve as things across the world unfold because, at the end of the day, our guests’ safety is our number one responsibility,” he said.

The InterContinental Miami sits just across the water from Bayfront Park where many events take place including the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Walk, Rolling Loud Music Festival and Ultra Music Festival.

General Manager Robert Hill of the InterContinental did not respond to requests for comment.

But it is not only highrise hotels that make travelers nervous.

Nathaly Gaitan, a supervisor for the 1 Hotel South Beach, said she’s had a lot of guests express concerns about their safety after the shooting in Las Vegas.

“My position specifically deals with the guests and making sure their experience is as perfect as possible, but that becomes more difficult when guests are scared,” she said.

Gaitan said that she has noticed guests looking over their shoulders and only cautiously give out their room numbers.

She said that the hotel has been working hard to ensure the safety of the guests.

“Although I cannot get into any specifics, I can say that we have been buckling down and working together to ensure the safety of not only our clients, but our staff as well,” she said.

Similar to the response of Matos from the Fontainebleau, Gaitan also mentioned that every incident in the past has been different.

“Every situation is unique and ultimately, we may never have a perfect way to respond. But we can always be as prepared as we can and come together to keep our guests safe if the time ever comes.”

 

 

x

Check Also

Derek Jeter and Mayor Francis Suarez share a laugh while handing out turkeys and potatoes.

Turkey giveaway at Marlin’s Park

The Miami Marlins held their 9th annual Thanksgiving Distribution last Friday. The invitation-only event held at Marlins Park was sponsored by Feeding South Florida and other organizations. One thousand pre-selected families were given turkeys and other thanksgiving dinner essentials. The Marlin’s new CEO and part-owner, Derek Jeter, and Miami’s newly elected mayor, Francis Suarez, helped distribute 10-pound turkeys, canned goods ...